Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2009

Yeah I'm doing one.

Before I get into it, let me get the Honorable Mentions out of the way.  I loved these flicks, but they just didn't make the cut:

Green Lantern First Flight, Observe and Report, Sherlock Homes, Avatar, and Inglorious Basterds

10. Paranormal Activity


I believed everything about this movie.  Nothing felt fake, or forced, I was genuinely terrified.  I could feel myself tense up at all the right parts, very well put together.   I would dare say it's my favorite horror film of all time, mainly because it focuses on the horror.


9 Superman/Batman Public Enemies

I'm a big fan of the Superman/Batman dynamic, I thought it was really utilized well here.  I felt the film was better than the book, and made more sense.  Aside from some complaints about the animation and the waste of Levar Burton's talent, I still felt this movie got it right.  Plus it's always great to hear Tim Daly, Clancy Brown, and Kevin Conroyback in their respective roles/

8. District 9

This was such an amazing movie.  In terms of filmaking, this is probably the best film on my list.  It's well acted, it's got a strong message, and the action scenes are just badass.  I really hope this flick gets a Best Picture nod.  Hell, I hope it wins.

7. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

I love Miyazaki.  So it's no surprise I loved this flick.  It was sweet, had a great story, the animaton is absolutely beautiful.  I can't find anything wrong with it.  It's standard Miyzaki, it's epic.  I'm still hesitent to call it the best animated movieof the year, but it's the best one I've seen.


6. Wonder Woman

As amazing as Ponyo was, I still really love Wonder Woman a little more.  Being a comic geek it's no surprise I dig this movie, but I also dig it as an animation fan.  It's got a great, simple story that does an excellent job at introducing Wonder Woman and her supporting cast, it's got great voice acting, great animation, and it's genuinely funny when it wants to be.  Why Warner Bros didn't do this for live action I'll never know.

5. Zombieland

I had a blast with this movie.  I dare say I loved this more than Shaun of the Dead.  I really dug the cast, Woody Harrelson was just epic.  He killed everytime he was on screen.  It was funny, surprisingly heartwarming, and possibly the greatest cameo appearence since Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar.

4. The Hangover

I loved this movie.  I went to see it twice and it held up perfectly both times.  I'm a big fan of Zach Galifinakis' stand up and he was just as hillarious here.  He, Bradely Cooper, and Ed Helmes had perfect chemistry, they played off each other so well.  I loved the writting, it wasn't hackneyed it was very clever and grounded, I can't pick a favorite moment becuase this flick had so many great ones.


3. Black Dynamite

This movie surpassed Hangover as my favorite comedy of the year.  I quote this movie every day, I nearly died laughing.  For Michael Jai White, this movie instantly washes away all the fail from Spawn, he was perfect.  This movie was a great parody, but it was also a great movie in it;s own right.  I knew exactly what it was and it delivered everything I was expecting from it.

2. Star Trek

I have no complaints about this movie.  It had a spectacular cast, with special nods to Chris Pine, Zach Quinto, Simon Pegg, and Karl Urban, great dialogue, it cut away all the boring technobabble and got down to what made the original series fun.  This movie did a great job of rebooting the franchise, not mucking up the original continuity, and made it work.  This movie was my favorite of the year, until this movie came out....

1. Turtles Forever

This is the best Ninja Turtles movie ever of all times, for realz.  It was everything I could have hoped for.  It had a good story, it was funny, genuinely funny.  Nothing was forced, just the interactions of all the different TMNT incarnations was classic.  The animation was in top form here, the expressions and movements and fight scenes just looked incredible.  It was great to see the old cartoon Turtles again, and while I was disapointed that they didn't use the original VA's and the sillyness was overdone a bit, I still loved seeing them.  I'll do a full review of this later on, but words can't express how happy this movie made me.  I'm still grinning with joy over seeing it.  Cowa-fucking-bunga!


Movies I've still yet to see that I feel i should: Extract, Princess and the frog, Up, Up in the Air, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Ninja Assassin

Not the End

No comments:

Post a Comment