Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sherlock Holmes Review

Greetings Non-Believers

Stuff came up last night so I didn't a chance to do this last night, but whatever.

Last night I saw Sherlock Holmes.  When I first saw the trailer for this I thought it looked awful.  I thought it would be nothing but over the top explosions and rampant womanizing.  But the months leading up to it my opinion began to change.  After seeing it, I'm pleased to say that I had a blast watching it.

I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but I will say the story kept me hooked.  It felt a little James Bond-ish at times, but that's what made it fun to watch.  I also really enjoyed the way the portrayed Holmes' unorthodox methods and keen analytical skills.  Having him plan out every one of his opponents moves and his counter attack in mere seconds.  There's rarely a slow moment, and that's thanks to RDJ and Jude Law.

Both Downey Jr. and Law make not only an excellent Holmes and Watson, but an excellent comedic duo.  The banter between the Watson (the dry-witted straight man) and Holmes (the quirky and enigmatic one) was the best part of the movie.  RDJ in particular really owned the screen.  His preformence reminded me a lot of Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, and just made me want to see the two of them together headlining a movie more and more.  Also Mark Strong really did a good job as Lord Blackwood.  He was very dark and intimidating, made for a great villain.

I don't have any major complaints.  At times it felt to Bond-ish and they could have toned down the action a little more.  But like I said, not a major complaint.

My dad is a hardcore Holmes fan, and he refuses to give this movie a chance.  I haven't read the novels so I can say whether or not it was truly faithful.  But I enjoyed the hell out of it.  I'd say go see it if you want.  Or not, I don't control your life.  Though it would be awesome if I did, because I'd make you do really weird shit.

Not the End

No comments:

Post a Comment